Experienced And Reputable Attorneys Offering Personal Service In

Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Understanding Limited Tort Vs. Full Tort

If you were injured in a car accident or a truck accident in Pennsylvania, your ability to recover compensation may be limited by your auto insurance. A skilled and knowledgeable Bensalem personal injury attorney can help you understand your insurance coverage and pursue the compensation you deserve for your injuries.

At The Swain Law Firm, P.C., our attorneys have extensive experience handling personal injury cases in Pennsylvania. We have helped countless clients pursue out-of-pocket expenses and damages for pain and suffering for all types of injuries related to motor vehicle accidents.

Before you settle with your insurance company or sign any papers, contact our personal injury attorneys. Even if you have limited tort coverage, we may be able to help you pursue further compensation for your injuries.

How Limited Tort Works

Limited tort coverage is a cheaper option than full tort coverage because it limits the types of damages you can recover in a suit. With limited tort coverage, you may only be able to sue for pain and suffering if you have a serious injury such as paralysis and loss of limbs. Conversely, if you have full tort coverage, you can sue for pain and suffering regardless of your level of injury. What constitutes a serious injury may vary from county to county. The law defines a serious injury as a serious impairment of a body function. While one court may find a fractured skull is not serious enough to meet this definition, another court might find it is enough. You need to talk to a lawyer so you can learn if your injury will meet that threshold. Our limited tort attorneys can help you understand your insurance coverage and how it applies to your case. We will give you a thorough and complete assessment of your claim so you can know what to expect and learn how we can help you.

Exceptions To Limited Tort

Even if you selected limited tort coverage on your auto insurance and your injuries do not meet the threshold, you may be allowed to bring a claim for pain and suffering if you were:

  • Hit by a drunk driver
  • Occupying a commercial vehicle
  • Hit by an out-of-state registered vehicle
  • A pedestrian, bicyclist or motorcyclist

Many people do not realize these exceptions to limited tort exist. Our attorneys can help you determine if one of these exceptions applies to you.

Understanding Full Tort Coverage

You may have “full coverage” but that does not necessarily mean you have full tort coverage. Full coverage generally means your insurance company will pay to fix or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or stolen. Full tort coverage protects you when you are injured. It allows you to sue for damages, including:

  • Out-of-pocket expenses
  • Past and future pain and suffering
  • Emotional distress
  • Loss of life’s pleasure

We tell all of our clients that they should check with their insurance agents to make sure they have full tort coverage. It may cost you more money every month. However, if you are injured and kept from working for months, full tort coverage can enable you to recover the compensation you need to live your life.

Get A Free Consultation

For a free consultation with one of our limited tort lawyers, contact our personal injury firm. Call 215-550-1968.